Cover Toronto Fringe for Mooney on Theatre
In a lot of ways Fringe Festivals embody what Mooney on Theatre holds dear, theatre accessibility. They are cheap theatre that is attended by a wide range of people, many of whom are not theatregoers the rest of the year.
With this in mind, we put a lot of effort into providing as much coverage of the festival as we can, including: covering each show in a relatively substantive way; running contests for free tickets; reporting on the buzz surrounding the fringe and more. If you want an idea of what the coverage will likely look like, check out the Fringe Festival category on this site. To make this happen, we need to bring on more contributors.
The position will start in early June, since there will be training involved and an editorial process to adjust to and we’d like all new writers to have been through the review writing and editing process a couple times before they’re thrown into the craziness that is Fringe.
So, if you want to be involved in a fun festival, through a fun publication, see stuff for free, and build up your writing resume at the same time, here’s your chance. Familiarize yourself with the publication and check the requirements below, if you feel a fit, then send us an application with a writing sample by end of day Sunday, June 7, 2015.
Requirements for the position:
- Able to attend at least 5 shows between July 1 and July 5 (Most shows are about an hour long, it is easy to do 2 or 3 in a day or evening)
- A strong writer, who can provide comments in a positive/constructive manner – the ability to express what you like and don’t like while acknowledging it is your opinion, and not an absolute
- Able to work with blog publishing software (either a quick learner, or someone with experience – it’s not very complicated)
- Ability to work independently and turn information around very quickly
- Access to a computer to work from (we don’t have an office)
What you DON’T need:
- To have been published previously
- Theatre experience or knowledge (Founding Editor Megan Mooney always says that her dream writer is someone who hasn’t seen a play since high school)
If you are interested, please forward a writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org by end-of-day Sunday, June 7. The sample should be between 250 and 400 words, and if possible be in a review format (the last play or movie you saw, or heck, an episode of some tv show).
We look forward to hearing from you, as soon as possible.
Please note: As with all of Mooney on Theatre, this is a volunteer position
Photo credits: Toronto Fringe Festival