From press release
Asiansploitation: Be More Pacific is Asiansploitation’s newest sketch show is part of the 2016 Toronto Fringe Festival.
Be More Pacific examines how our urban lives as Asian Canadians have been impacted in a city where East meets West, Old World meets New. Hamburgers meet Sushi. Some of us have assimilated. Some of us have dug in our heels. Some of us have dug into a bag of Lay’s Shrimp Chips.
By coincidence, the entire cast and director are children of first generation immigrants which prompted us to explore the many things that bug us and saw that our annoyances were a place of common ground with the rest of the world.
The five-member Asiansploitation writer/performer ensemble includes James Cheng, Tiffany Kwan, Ellie Posadas, Jeff B. Santos, and Anthony Tran. The show is Directed by four-time Funniest Female Improviser nominee Jane Luk and stage managed by Tita Kyrtsakas.
Founded in 2006 by Jeff B. Santos, Gary Chan and Glenn Gabriel , Asiansploitation is a collective of Asian-Canadian writers and performers that use comedy to examine, critique and re-imagine our society and expose the human condition. Since that time, Asiansploitation has created 10 original revues and three remounts across the GTA garnering critical acclaim and a dedicated audience base. Don’t be fooled by the troupe’s name and wonder “Do I have to be Asian to get it?” – definitely not! Men and women of all diverse cultures and ages have told us with big grins “I’m not Asian” but I get it. And they do!
“……strong cultural influences that also appeal to a broader audience”. Bruce DeMara, Toronto Star (2010 Toronto Fringe Festival Review)
- July 1st at 9:45 PM
- July 2nd at 11:30 PM
- July 3rd at 1:45 PM
- July 5th at 4:30 PM
- July 7th at 7:30 PM
- July 8th at 12:00 PM
- July 9th at 10:30 PM
- Asiansploitation: Be More Pacific plays at the Robert Gill Theatre. (214 College St)
- Tickets are $10 at the door, $12 in advance. The festival also offers a range of money-saving passes for serious Fringers.
- Tickets can be purchased online, by telephone (416-966-1062), from the Fringe Club at Honest Ed’s Alley, and — if any remain — from the venue’s box office starting one hour before curtain.
- Be aware that Fringe performances always start exactly on time, and that latecomers are never admitted.
- This venue is wheelchair-accessible provided you arrive early (at least ~20 minutes) and notify the House Manager you require an accessible route.