Solid Improv Company Offers an All-New Musical at Each Performance
From press release:
After numerous sold out monthly shows at Bad Dog Theatre, as well as being dubbed one of Toronto’s Top Five Summer Improv Shows, Songbuster – An Improvised Musical is taking on the Toronto Fringe Festival. During each performance, the cast of incredible, award winning improvisers creates a brand new musical on the spot, where each night is opening night. The collection of misfit cast members are the best that musical improv can garner.
You’ve seen the cast on TV (Orphan Black, Degrassi, RAW, The Other Kingdom) but you’ve never seen them like this! Created in the summer of 2015 by Stephanie Malek (Bad Dog’s Final Frontier) and Josh Murray (Second City Education Company), this improvised musical is directed by Tom King and Carly Heffernan. Joining Malek and Murray in the cast are Kristian Bruun (Orphan Black), Ashley Comeau (Second City Mainstage), Tricia Black (Sketchersons), Matty Burns (Second City Naughty Listers), Alexandra Hurley (Edinburgh Fringe), Nug Nahrgang (Evil Dead! The Musical) and Connor Thompson (Second City Mainstage).
Audience suggestions are transformed into all singing, all dancing shows with surprising and hysterical results. Fast paced, ridiculous and always entertaining, the cast is endlessly ambitious creating an hour long musical from a series of suggestions provided by the audience. Not only do they create the music from thin air, but they also create a world full of engaging characters and captivating stories.
Songbuster likes to do the unusual. Take things outside the box. Their characters are solid, their voices refined and their humour meters are striking off the chart. They require the whole world as their stage and aren’t afraid to take it there.
- Songbuster – An Improvised Musical plays at the Randolph Theatre. (736 Bathurst St)
- Tickets are $10 at the door, $12 in advance. The festival also offers a range of money-saving passes for serious Fringers.
- Tickets can be purchased online, by telephone (416-966-1062), from the Fringe Club at Honest Ed’s Alley, and — if any remain — from the venue’s box office starting one hour before curtain.
- Be aware that Fringe performances always start exactly on time, and that latecomers are never admitted.
- Content Warning: Mature Language.
- This venue is wheelchair-accessible through a ramp at the building’s northwest corner. Please arrive early and ask to speak with the House Manager.
- Wednesday June 29th, 10:00 pm
- Saturday July 2nd, 08:00 pm
- Monday July 4th, 02:30 pm
- Tuesday July 5th, 08:30 pm
- Friday July 8th, 05:45 pm
- Saturday July 9th, 08:00 pm
- Sunday July 10th, 01:45 pm