This show is a mix of personal story-telling and one-on-one spirit readings between Carolyn and members of the audience.
Her storytelling style comes off as that of an affable aunt telling stories around the kitchen table. It was interesting to hear about her life, and the way she spoke kept me engaged and interested in what was happening.
There is something very sincere about her, so whether or not you are convinced by the whole medium thing, you might want to check out the show just for an insight into the character of someone who would do this for a living.
Hearing her talk about her life, it all seemed to make sense. I can understand why she would have chosen the path that she did, and hearing her speak about her experiences made me think that I might have made a similar decision were I in her shoes.
Despite the theatre being freezing cold and some of the readings taking a minute or two to connect with a subject, all in all, my partner and I both found it to be a truly interesting experience.
I ended up connecting with the spirit of Teddy the 1st, my sister’s dead dog, who congratulated her on the new baby (which I thought was awfully nice of him). He wasn’t too upset about us letting him get run over by a car either, which will probably be a relief to my sister.
I am always a bit sceptical about this kind of stuff, no matter how much I really want to believe. It is hard to decide whether it’s for real or not, but for the price of $12, it’s more than a steal to get to see this truly fascinating woman do her thing and to hear her tell stories about her life.
- What?! You’re A Medium?! plays at the St. Vladimir Institute. (620 Spadina Ave)
- Tickets are $12 at the door and in advance. The festival also offers a range of money-saving passes for serious Fringers.
- Tickets can be purchased online, by telephone (416-966-1062), from the Fringe Club at Honest Ed’s Alley, and — if any remain — from the venue’s box office starting one hour before curtain.
- Be aware that Fringe performances always start exactly on time, and that latecomers are never admitted.
- Content Warning: Audience Participation.
- This venue is wheelchair-accessible.
- Friday July 1st, 01:00 pm
- Sunday July 3rd, 08:45 pm
- Monday July 4th, 02:45 pm
- Tuesday July 5th, 08:00 pm
- Wednesday July 6th, 02:15 pm
- Thursday July 7th, 05:45 pm
- Saturday July 9th, 08:45 pm
Photo of Carolyn Molnar provided by company