Terms of the internship
Mooney on Theatre’s editorial internship is an unpaid 12-week program for candidates who are interested in working in journalism (September 20 – December 10). Although geared towards those with an interest in new media and the arts, the application process is open to all candidates interested in editorial work. Some previous experience working with a publication is an asset to your application, however not essential. The internship offers an opportunity for “hands-on” learning and Mooney on Theatre will provide training. The internship is also flexible to accommodate school and work schedules. There is also the possibility of an extension to a second term. We are looking for two people passionate about journalism and the arts to come on board as interns and gain invaluable hands-on editorial experience.
The intern will participate in all aspects of the publication, including:
– Developing and managing the editorial calendar;
– Liaising with writers and publicists;
– Production meetings;
– Providing regular content for Mooney on Theatre;
– Researching and fact checking;
– Proofreading copy;
– Editing articles (initially shadow-editing alongside editor);
– Working on outreach (i.e. social media); and
– Providing input on recruitment of writers and assessing unsolicited pitches.
– Strong organization and coordination skills;
– Able to work effectively independently, and as part of a team;
– Commitment to at least 15 hours per week
– A willingness and desire to learn
To apply for the position, please forward a resume and a short writing sample (preferably in the style of writing on Mooney on Theatre – reviews of television show, movies or plays are accepted) of no more than 400 words to the editor (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Monday, September 13, 2010.