Theatre By Committee presents the world premiere of
The Food Project
Created by Theatre By Committee
Directed by Ben Hayward
Presented at the Toronto Fringe Festival
Featuring Veronica Baron, Owen Fawcett, Brandon Gillespie, Emmelia Gordon, Lindsey Middleton, & Jonathan Walls
Set, Costume, Sound & Lighting Design by Kelly Anderson
Produced by Laura McCallum
TORONTO (June 5, 2017) – Theatre By Committee presents the world premiere of The Food Project, a collective creation by Theatre By Committee. Directed by Theatre By Committee’s Ben Hayward (Best Play, Hamilton Fringe Festival ’16) The Food Project examines our relationship to Canadian food systems.
Featuring a cast of Veronica Baron, Owen Fawcett, Brandon Gillespie, Emmelia Gordon, Lindsey Middleton, and Jonathan Walls, this sitespecific investigative piece rattles the idea that “you are what you eat”.
Opening Wednesday July 5, the show runs to Friday July 14 as part of the Toronto Fringe Festival in the kitchen space of SKETCH at Artscape Youngplace.
“Where does my food come from?” “How is it grown?” “What is the cost to the environment?” Google any of these questions and you’ll receive a string of answers from American websites. Inspired by Food Sovereignty in Canada by Annette Aurélie Desmarais, The Food Project encourages Canadians to question the cultural and economic impact of our own food system.
Join us as we cook and prepare familiar dishes, such as Tim Horton’s breakfast combo, and investigate the industrial and international roads they take from field to mouth.
ABOUT THEATRE BY COMMITTEE Theatre By Committee is a seven-member collective of Toronto-based theatre artists creating narrative-focused, contemporary work in found spaces. Committee members are driven by an ensemble approach that rejects role-specific or hierarchical methods to create a truly collaborative working environment. Previously known as Bald Monkey Theatre, the collective underwent rebranding in 2015 to better represent the operational values of the company.
For more information visit
- The Food Project plays at Artscape Youngplace Sketch Kitchen. (180 Shaw St.)
- Tickets are $12. The festival also offers a range of money-saving passes for serious Fringers.
- Tickets can be purchased online, by telephone (416-966-1062), from the Fringe Club at Scadding Court, and — if any remain — from the venue’s box office starting one hour before curtain.
- Be aware that Fringe performances always start exactly on time, and that latecomers are never admitted.
- Content Warnings: Audience Participation, Mature Language.
- The Fringe Festival considers this venue to be wheelchair-accessible.
- Wednesday July 5th, 08:00 pm
- Thursday July 6th, 08:00 pm
- Friday July 7th, 08:00 pm
- Saturday July 8th, 08:00 pm
- Monday July 10th, 08:00 pm
- Tuesday July 11th, 08:00 pm
- Wednesday July 12th, 08:00 pm
- Thursday July 13th, 08:00 pm
- Friday July 14th, 08:00 pm
Photo of carrot by Owen Fawcett