by Leanne Milech
This is our second round of serving up five tasty theatre treats that cost $20 or less. For this week, we’ve tried to offer up nutritious entertainment that is even lighter on your wallet than last week’s fare. So sit back, grab a snack or a glass of wine and peruse our menu for the week of March 1, 2010.
– Shows run March 2 and March 9 at 8 pm with admission costing only $10
– Three comedy troupes awarded accolades at the 5th Annual Toronto Sketch Comedy Festival, which took place this past November, perform live at The Second City (51 Mercer).
– It’s easy to feast on this event! Just buy tickets online
3) Mary Stuart
– Watch emotions sizzle between Mary Queen of Scots and Elizabeth I
– Show runs to March 6, Wed. to Sat. at 8 pm with a Sunday matinee at 2 pm at Papermill Theatre (67 Pottery). Tickets are $20, or $15 for students.
– Team Awesome showcases two awesome features, combining a night of Greek philosophy with evil geniuses-turned-animals – literally!
– Shows run March 3 through March 5 at 7:30 pm at Bread and Circus Theatre (299 Augusta); tickets cost $10 in advance or $15 at the door
– Reserve tickets by phoning 416-336-3399
5) In Transit
– The newly minted Lightbulb Company mounts its first production, a workshop of an original play written by the company’s founder, Tyler Graham. In Transit is a comedic meditation on predictability and chaos, using the modern bus as a backdrop.
– Runs March 2-6 at the Walmer Centre Theatre (188 Lowther) at 8 pm, with an additional 2 pm performance on March 6. Tickets are $10, or $8 for students, seniors or groups of 10 or more.