by Leanne Milech
Five for Twenty (Or Less)
Our cheap Toronto theatre picks for this week focus on Theatre Passe Muraille, which currently has three affordable theatre options for your viewing pleasure. We’ve also thrown in a couple of other theatre events for you to check out that aren’t related to Theatre Passe Muraille, just for good measure. The Canadian Stage Company‘s splashy, inexpensive Festival of Ideas and Creation has us MoT contributers all hot and bothered, and we’re even excited about a show at Palmerston Library – yes, the library! Read on for more details and enjoy!
– This artist development festival features talks, workshops and readings of new plays by Linda Griffiths, David S. Craig, Leah Cherniak, d’bi.young anitafrika, Marjorie Chan and others.
– Opens May 10 and runs to May 22. See website or call 416-860-4685 for details, schedule and offsite events.
– Please note: Most events are free!
– Most events also take place at the Berkeley Street Theatre (26 Berkeley).
– Beckett’s absurdist play, Happy Days, is performed, followed by screenings from the Beckett On Film series (May 19-22) and a performance of the radio play All That Fall (May 27-28).
– Previews end tonight, May 11, but have no fear: the show officially opens May 12 and runs to May 29. Showtimes are Tue-Sat 7:30 p.m., with a matinee on Saturdays at 2 p.m.
– Tonight’s preview is only $12.50 and Saturday matinees are PWYC!
– Another sweet deal at Theatre Passe Muraille (16 Ryerson), this show about a Chinese-Canadian family dealing with language and cross-cultural issues only runs to Saturday, May 15, so plan your weekend accordingly: Saturday’s 2:30 matinee is PWYC!
– Call 416-504-7529 or head online to artsboxoffice.ca to reserve your seats.
– Yet another Theatre Passe Muraille (TPM) special, this theatrical promenade starts at TPM (16 Ryerson) and goes to SCAR MFC (609 Queen W), and looks at the history of the area using music and stories.
– Runs to May 16, with shows at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
– Tickets for this unique theatre experience are only $10-$15. Call 416-504-7529 or head online.
5) Pedro And The Captain/Foreigner (Grupo Teatro Libre)
– This double bill is performed in Spanish with English subtitles. Get a little foreign language love in your life this week!
– The show runs to May 16 with only 2 performances left: Saturday, May 15 at 7 pm and Sunday, May 16 at 6 pm.
– See the show for only $15 at Palmerston Library (560 Palmerston).
– Get more info by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.