by Leanne Milech
Five for Twenty (Or Less)
I culled this week’s five cheap theatre picks from the list of shows we’ve circulated to our writers. Each week, we at Mooney on Theatre pore over play listings from various Toronto sources and send a list of the most swoon-worthy shows to our writers, asking them to select a play to review from the list. Below, the five shows we’re most excited to have our reviewers check out. The good news? These shows are not only exciting, but they’re also all available for viewing at the low price of $20 or less! Prices are highlighted below for ease of reference. Read on and enjoy!
1) 9 Parts Of Desire by Heather Raffo (Seventh Stage Theatre). Nine Iraqi women give their perspectives on war and peace, love, family and more. Opens May 19 and runs to May 23, Wed-Sat 8 pm, Sun 7 pm, mats Sat-Sun 2 pm. $25, mats pwyc-$20. Theatre Centre, 1087 Queen W. 416-538-0988, seventhstageproductions.com.
2) Decalogue 2 by Andre Alexis (Tarragon Theatre). A monk breaks his vow of silence and the second commandment, leading to tragedy. Opens May 14 and runs to May 22, Fri-Sat 8 pm. Pwyc ($10 sugg). Near Studio, 30 Bridgman. 416-531-1827, tarragontheatre.com.
3) The Great War: The History Of The Village Of The Small Huts, 1914-1918 by Michael Hollingsworth (VideoCabaret). This satire looks at conquest and the absurdity of war. Previews May 1-2 at 1 pm. Opens May 6 and runs to May 30, Tue-Sat 8 pm, Sun 2:30 pm. $15–$30. Cameron House, 408 Queen W. 416-703-1725, videocab.com.
4) Where’s My Money? by John Patrick Shanley (Alley Co-op). Six thirtysomethings look at relationships and infidelity in this comedy. Opens May 13 and runs to May 30, Tue-Sat 8 pm (except May 15: show at 1 pm), Sun 2 pm. $20, May 15 pwyc. Pia Bouman Studio Theatre, 6 Noble. 416-504-7529, alleyco-op.org.
5) Aurash adapted by Soheil Parsa and Brian Quirt (Modern Times Stage Company). The play based on a Persian myth by Bahram Beyza’ie looks at the consequences of nationalism and war. Previews May 14. Opens May 15 and runs to May 29, Mon-Sat 8 pm, mat Sat 2 pm. $12-$28. Young Centre for the Performing Arts, 55 Mill. 416-866-8666, moderntimesstage.com.