By Mira Saraf
Five for Twenty (Or Less)
The theme for the week of June 13, 2010 is Free/PWYC shows around the city. Many are among our editor, Megan’s, top picks for this week, so there’s no excuse – you can’t blame your purse strings for missing any of these shows. Enjoy!
1) Waves Festival (Young Centre for the Performing Arts). The Centre’s Resident Artists present short works of dance, theatre, music, mixed media and interactive arts. Jun 18-20, Fri 6 to 10 pm, Sat 2 to 10 pm, Sun 1 to 6 pm. Free. 55 Mill. luminato.com
2) Twelfth Night/The Two Noble Kinsmen by William Shakespeare/WS and John Fletcher (Urban Bard). The comedies are performed outdoors on alternating nights. Opens May 28 and runs to Jun 20, see website for schedule. Pwyc. College Park Courtyard, 444 Yonge, south side facing Gerrard. urbanbard.ca.
3) Bloom On The Beach (Anna Livia Productions). Actors and musicians re-enact scenes from James Joyce’s Ulysses along the beach. Jun 16 from 8:30 am to noon. Free. Neville Park Streetcar Loop, Queen E at Nursewood. 416-365-7877.
4) Obaaberima by Tawiah M’Carthy (Queer Pride 2010). A Ghanian boy deals with gender sexuality and race in this dance-theatre piece. Jun 17 at 8 pm. Pwyc. Buddies in Bad Times Theatre, 12 Alexander. 416-975-8555, buddiesinbadtimes.com.
5) Free Jane (Queer Pride 2010/Cabaret Company). Sky Gilbert hosts the annual show featuring a reading of a new play by Jordan Patterson, followed by an open stage. Jun 20 at 7 pm. Free. Buddies in Bad Times Theatre, 12 Alexander. 416-975-8555, buddiesinbadtimes.com.