By Mira Saraf
Five for Twenty (Or Less)
The theme for the week of July 19, 2010 is outdoor shows around the city. There’s no excuse – you can’t blame your purse strings for missing any of these shows. Enjoy!
1) Romeo And Juliet by William Shakespeare (Canadian Stage Dream in High Park). This year’s outdoor production features the classic tale of ill-fated lovers. Previews Jun 25-27. Opens Jun 29 and runs to Sep 5, Tue-Sun 8 pm. Pwyc ($20 sugg); under 14 free. High Park Amphitheatre, Bloor W and Parkside. 416-367-1652, canstage.com.
2) The Circus Of Dark & Light by David Anderson and Krista Dalby (Clay & Paper Theatre). A circus crew discovers how community can change the world in this outdoor show featuring puppets, music, a human cannonball and more. Opens Jul 16 and runs to Aug 15, Wed-Sun 2 and 7 pm. $10 or pwyc. Dufferin Grove Park, Dufferin S of Bloor. clayandpapertheatre.org.
3) The Taming Of The Shrew by William Shakespeare (Humber River Shakespeare Co). The touring company presents the battle-of-the-sexes comedy. Opens Jul 6 and runs to Aug 1, Tue-Sat 7 pm, Sun and holiday Mon 2 pm. Pwyc ($15 sugg). Various outdoor venues, see website for details. 416-209-2026, humberrivershakespeare.ca.
4) Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare (Hart House Theatre/Canopy Theatre). The romantic comedy is staged outdoors. Opens Jul 13 and runs to Jul 24, Tue-Sat 8 pm. $10, stu/srs $8, Tue pwyc. Philosopher’s Walk, 80 Queen’s Park. 416-978-8849, canopytheatre.ca.
5) Dusk Dances 2010 presents the outdoor dance festival featuring Last of a Dying Breed, Tamla Matthews, One Couch and others. Opens Jul 20 and runs to Jul 23, Tue-Fri 7 pm. Pwyc. Neilson Park, Neilson Rd and Neilson Park. 416-504-6429 ext 41, duskdances.ca.