By Mira Saraf
Five for Twenty (Or Less)
The theme for the week of September 12, 2010 is song and dance. You can’t blame your purse strings for missing any of these shows. Enjoy!
1) Actionable (Bob Wiseman). Wiseman performs his solo multimedia show about various lawsuits against him. Sep 15 at 8:30 pm. $17-$20. Hugh’s Room, 2261 Dundas W. 416-531-6604, hughsroom.com.
2) This Is The Thing by Jeff Jones (Charcoal Sketch Productions). Songs and stories evoke memories for a man standing at the edge. Previews Sep 15. Opens Sep 16, Wed-Sat 7:30 pm, mat Sat 2:30 pm. $20, stu $15. Theatre Passe Muraille, Backspace, 16 Ryerson. 416-504-7529, charcoalsketchproductions.com.
3) Shawn Hitchins Is A Single White Douche (Shawn Hitchins). Hitchins performs his comedic musical cabaret. Opens Sep 9 and runs to Sep 18, Thu-Sat 8 pm. $10-$15. Buddies in Bad Times Theatre, 12 Alexander. 416-975-8555, shawnhitchins.com.
4) Drama & Desire: Artists And Theatre (Art Gallery of Ontario). CanStage Dream in High Park actors and Atelier Ballet dancers perform alongside an exhibit of Stratford Festival props, stage machines and interactive content. Opens Jun 19 and runs to Sep 26, performances on select Saturdays and Sundays. Free w/ admission. 317 Dundas W. ago.net.
5) Allende Arts Festival (LACAP). Art exhibits, music, dance, artist talks, kids activities, film and more celebrate art as a force for social change. Opens Sep 10 and runs to Sep 25, see website for details. Free (closing party $15). Artscape Wychwood Barns, and other venues, 601 Christie. allendefestival.com.