Mooney on Theatre is looking for somebody passionate about journalism and the arts to come on board as a Volunteer Assistant Editor, and gain invaluable hands-on editorial experience in the field of Theatre.
The intern will participate in all aspects of the publication, including:
- Developing and managing the editorial calendar;
- Liaising with writers and publicists;
- Production meetings;
- Providing regular content for Mooney on Theatre;
- Researching and fact checking;
- Proofreading copy;
- Editing articles (initially shadow-editing alongside editor);
- Working on outreach (i.e. social media); and
- Providing input on recruitment of writers and assessing unsolicited pitches.
- Strong organization and coordination skills;
- Able to work effectively independently, and as part of a team;
- Commitment to at least 15 hours per week
- A willingness and desire to learn
To apply for the position please forward a resume and a short writing sample (preferably in the style of writing on Mooney on Theatre – reviews of television show, movies or plays are accepted) of no more than 400 words to the editor (email@example.com) by Monday December 6, 2010.
Terms of the position
Mooney on Theatre’s Volunteer Assistant Editor position is an unpaid 16-week program for candidates who are interested in working in journalism (January 10 – May 10). It offers an opportunity for “hands-on” learning and Mooney on Theatre will provide training. It is also flexible to accommodate school and work schedules. It would be telecommuting position requiring occasional in-person meetings for training and strategy purposes. It is great resume-building experience as it exposes you to all different facets of running an online magazine.