Mooney on Theatre is giving away one pair of tickets to Diane Johnstone’s Desperate Church Wives, playing at the Randolph Academy for the Performing Arts (736 Bathurst St.), for the performance on November 23rd at 8pm.
To be entered into the draw for the pair of tickets just send an email to email@example.com with the subject line “Desperate Church Wives Contest” by 7:00PM on Thursday, November 22nd, 2012.
See below for details about the show and how the contest works:
Written and performed by Diane Johnstone, Desperate Church Wives is a solo show loosely based on the biblical story of Prophet Hosea and his wife Gomer. After a series of successful Fringe Festival runs, the production now makes its anticipated return to Toronto this November at the Randolph Academy for the Performing Arts. In Diane’s version of the classic tale, Prophet Hosea is a Minister, and just as in the bible, he believes God told him to marry a prostitute. But when one of the meddling churchgoers uncovers Gomer’s secret past, the women of the congregation don’t exactly find themselves free of judgement. “That ho has to go!”
Diane’s own tale of loss and redemption mirrors the story of Gomer: before embracing the church and finding her calling as an actor and writer, she worked as a stripper, leading a life burdened by drugs and myriad hardships. After opening up about her turbulent past to fellow churchgoers, Diane was met with everything from awkward silence to flat-out scorn and derision.
In this tour-de-force performance, Diane seamlessly transitions between six memorable characters: there’s by-the-book Pastor Hortense, tell-it-like it is Grandma Word, snooty Southern-belle Clarissa, humbled Reverend Hosea, fast-talking ex-stripper Barbara, and Gomer, the persecuted harlot wife. Equal parts funny, touching, and dramatic, Desperate Church Wives is the inspirational production that proves everyone, despite their past, deserves to be loved unconditionally.
Performance Dates: November 13-25, 2012
Schedule: Nov. 23 & 24 at 8pm and Nov. 26 at 6pm
Ticket Prices: $18.50 (Cash only at the door)
Location: Randolph Academy for the Performing Arts (736 Bathurst St.)
Box Office: Cash only or in advance online at brownpapertickets.com
- The only acceptable form of entry for the contest is by email, sent to firstname.lastname@example.org (Mooney on Theatre will never use your email address for anything other than to reply to the specific contest you entered, and we certainly would never sell it or anything like that)
- Entrants must be available on the day and time listed in the contest. The tickets are available for that showing only, and cannot be transferred to another date.
- The winning entrants will be chosen by a random drawing.
- Photo I.D. may be required to claim the winning tickets.
- Tickets must be picked up 60 to 30 minutes before show time at the venue box office. The box office reserves the right to release any tickets not picked up 15 minutes before show time.