From press release
Written and performed by Joylyn Secunda, The Moaning Yoni combines dialogue, physical comedy, dance and puppetry to transmit a hallucinatory coming of age story.
In The Moaning Yoni, Zoë, a college student desperately trying to be normal, resists the dictatorial pressure of her anthropomorphic vagina (yoni), a no-bullshit Brooklyn-Jew with the wisdom of a sage. Together they cross the battlefield of Sex-Ed class, Tinder, and Tantric hippies.
Joylyn Secunda plays many other zany characters including Crystal, a cannabis lube ceremony facilitator – Aspen, a VW nomad and self-proclaimed mystic – and Ava, Zoë’s Dionysian nympho roommate.
“The show reflects an individual millennial experience, and yet is universal in that it explores the need for acceptance,” says writer/performer, Joylyn Secunda. “It’s a blend of innocent wonder and wild fantasies.”
Zoë’s character is inspired by Joylyn Secunda’s experiences in a sex-filled world, and her journey to identifying as grey-asexual.
This show contains strong language and sexual themes. Rated 18+.
- Friday July 7th, 01:15 pm
- Saturday July 8th, 06:45 pm
- Sunday July 9th, 02:45 pm
- Monday July 10th, 04:00 pm
- Tuesday July 11th, 06:45 pm
- Wednesday July 12th, 03:00 pm
- Thursday July 13th, 09:45 pm
- Saturday July 15th, 08:00 pm
- The Moaning Yoni plays at the Theatre Passe Muraille Backspace. (16 Ryerson Ave.)
- Tickets are $12. The festival also offers a range of money-saving passes for serious Fringers.
- Tickets can be purchased online, by telephone (416-966-1062), from the Fringe Club at Scadding Court, and — if any remain — from the venue’s box office starting one hour before curtain.
- Be aware that Fringe performances always start exactly on time, and that latecomers are never admitted.
- Content Warnings: Sexual Content, Audience Participation, Mature Language, Unsuitable for Minors.
- This venue is wheelchair-accessible, with some tight cornering. Accessible seating is in the front row.
Photo of Joylyn Secunda by Emily Cooper Photography