2018: A Sex Odyssey; a sitcom set in space because the Earth is totally destroyed by climate change – ugh!
Premiering at the Fringe Festival, 2018: A Sex Odyssey is a unique take on sci-fi and reality TV – set at the precipice of an apocalypse. With a diverse cast selected from Toronto’s improv and comedy community and a sitcom-style original soundtrack, you won’t want to miss this Netflix-style adventure!
2018: A Sex Odyssey re-imagines life in space, Big Brother style, as we careen towards a post-climate change future – focussing on sex, relationships and the interpersonal dramas of six twenty-somethings living together on a spaceship. It begins three months into a two year journey to populate the planet Mars, due to the near total destruction of planet Earth as a direct result of human caused climate change and the wars that ensued. Still, no one really cares about climate change.
Theresa Ramirez, first time writer/director, always wondered why spaceships in sci-fi movies were all white and sterile and science-y. The initial inspiration for 2018: A Sex Odyssey came from re-imagining space travel as a group of people living together in a shared space – rather than focusing on the sci-fi action and drama of space mishaps. Instead, Theresa wanted to focus on navigating interpersonal dramas, relationships and sex in such a confined space. And all this in the context of climate change of course (Theresa works for an environmental organization by day). Once cast, all the actors had the opportunity to discuss their character and further develop the script – so that this would be a collaborative experience, and for it to feel like they really are all living on one big spaceship!
- 2018: A Sex Odyssey plays at the St. Vladimir Institute. (620 Spadina Ave.)
- Tickets are $13, including a $2 service charge. The festival also offers a range of money-saving passes and discounts for serious Fringers.
- Tickets can be purchased online, by telephone (416-966-1062), from the Festival Box Office at Scadding Court (707 Dundas St. W.), and — if any remain — from the venue’s box office starting one hour before curtain.
- Content Warnings: Mature language; Sexual content; Unsuitable for minors.
- This venue is wheelchair-accessible through a secondary route. After the building’s business hours, a staff member will need to escort you through this route, so plan to arrive at least 15 minutes early for evening shows.
- Be aware that Fringe performances always start exactly on time, and that latecomers are never admitted.
- Wednesday July 4th, 8:45 pm
- Saturday July 7th, 12:00 pm
- Monday July 9th, 10:45 pm
- Wednesday July 11th, 5:45 pm
- Thursday July 12th, 3:30 pm
- Friday July 13th, 7:30 pm
- Sunday July 15th, 2:45 pm