Comedy Records Presents: Jay & Eytan by Comedy Records is playing at Randolph Theatre as part of the Toronto Fringe Festival. Jay and Eytan are a comedy duo based in Brooklyn, NY but are originally from Canada. They’ve been touring around and are stopping right here in Toronto!
Who knew two comedians could fill 60 minutes and a whole stage with so many smart and hilarious bits. I was waiting until they ran out of ideas, but duh, it’s a show, so they never did. But still, it was pretty darn impressive to watch. The show is like a steam train, moving from sketch to stand up, to sketch, then to a choreographed dance to Madonna’s Like a Virgin, then to stand up again…it just never stopped.
Jay and Eytan are now in their thirties, which means that they have “a lot of things to do,” and they’re “slightly tired all the time,” but that didn’t stop them from power-packing this show full of energetic sketches, wheels of impressions and passionate rants about Google Maps. Because Google Maps is annoying and it should be stopped.
As comedians, you can tell Jay and Eytan are seasoned pros and have been working together for a long time. The show felt almost unrehearsed, as if you were just hanging out with your bros and they were just coming up with these jokes and sketches on the spot. I also have to say, they made really good use of the stage. By the end, I kind of felt like I watched a show with 10 or 20 people when really it was just two up there. That’s gotta be some kind of sketch comedy magic.
If you’re looking for a chilled out, gut punching comedy show with guaranteed laughs to see this Toronto Fringe Festival check out Comedy Records Presents: Jay & Eytan. It’s a sketch-standup spectacular, and your inner millennial will thank you.
- Comedy Records Presents: Jay and Eytan plays at Randolph Theatre (736 Bathurst St.)
- Tickets are $13, including a $2 service charge. The festival also offers a range of money-saving passes and discounts for serious Fringers.
- Tickets can be purchased online, by telephone (416-966-1062), from the Festival Box Office at Scadding Court (707 Dundas St. W.), and — if any remain — from the venue’s box office starting one hour before curtain.
- This venue is barrier-free. Note that only certain building entrances are wheelchair-accessible. Accessible seating is in front of the front row.
- Be aware that Fringe performances always start exactly on time, and that latecomers are never admitted.
- Saturday, July 6th, 8:00 pm
- Sunday, July 7th, 1:00 pm
- Tuesday July 9th, 5:00 pm
- Wednesday July 10th, 6:45 pm
- Friday July 12th, 2:45 pm
- Saturday July 13th, 4:30 pm
Photo of Eytan Millstone and Jay Wells.