By Leanne Milech
Five for Twenty (Or Less)
Here are our top five picks for $20 or less for the week of May 30, 2010. This week, we’ve selected the most unusual plays we can find from our weekly eye-catching theatre post. And by “unusual” we mean offbeat and awesome! Enjoy!
1) Howie The Rookie by Mark O’Rowe (Red One Theatre). This performance installation piece involves a bizarre feud of honour. Opens Jun 2 and runs to Jun 6, Wed-Sun 7 and 9 pm. Free (by RSVP only). Secret Venue, Meet at NW corner of College and Grace Streets 15 minutes prior to showtime. email@example.com.
2) Opera Erotique (Out of the Box Productions). Human and cybernetic opera performers interact in a futuristic world. Previews Jun 1. Opens Jun 2 and runs to Jun 5, Tue-Sat 8 pm. $25-$35, preview pwyc. Tranzac, 292 Brunswick. 1-888-222-6608, outoftheboxproductions.ca.
3) Theatre Out Of The Box (Act II Studio/Silver Screens Arts Festival). One-act plays by Suzanne Gauthier, Pam Hitchcock, Harold Pinter, David Ives and others will be performed by members of the age 50+ arts program. Opens Jun 2 and runs to Jun 3, Wed 1:30 pm, Thu 2 and 7 pm. $12. Rogers Communications Centre, Eaton Theatre, 80 Gould. 416-979-5103, silverscreens.ca.
4) The Great War: The History Of The Village Of The Small Huts, 1914-1918 by Michael Hollingsworth (VideoCabaret). This satire looks at conquest and the absurdity of war. Previews May 1-2 at 1 pm. Opens May 6 and runs to Jun 6, Tue-Sat 8 pm, Sun (and Jun 5) 2:30 pm. $15-$30. Cameron House, 408 Queen W. 416-703-1725, videocab.com.
5) Mamma’s Boy/Larger Than Life: The Musical by Randie Parliament/SG Lee and Vanessa LeBourdais. Two Canadian productions run in repertory. Previews May 21. Opens May 22 and runs to Jun 12, see website for schedule. $15-$37.50. Factory Theatre, Studio, 125 Bathurst. 416-504-9971, ghostlightprojects.com.