By Mira Saraf
Five for Twenty (Or Less)
The theme for the week of August 16, 2010 is a little bit of this and a little bit of that. You can’t blame your purse strings for missing any of these shows. Enjoy!
1) WORD! SOUND! POWAH! FESTIVAL (AnitAFRIKA! Dub Theatre). Six resident artists present full-length monodramas, dramaturged by d.bi.young. Opens Aug 16 and runs to Aug 21, Mon-Sat 7:30 pm. $10, passes $25-$45. 918 Bathurst, 918 Bathurst. 416-294-4584, anitafrika.com.
2) LYME AND TINGS (Trey Anthony/See Saw Live Productions). Singers, spoken word artists and others compete in an interactive talent show hosted by comedian Trixx. Opens Aug 5 and runs to Aug 26, Thu 7:30 pm. $10. The Annex Live, 296 Brunswick. seesawlive.com.
3) THE SELKIE WIFE by Kelley Jo Burke (Fly by Night Theatre). A secret from the past threatens a woman’s family life in this modern take on a Celtic myth. Opens Aug 18 and runs to Aug 21, Wed-Sat 8 pm, mat Sat 2 pm. $20, stu/srs $18, mat $15. The Village Playhouse, 2190 Bloor W. flybynighttheatre.ca.
4) WOLFBOY by Brad Fraser (Mnemonic Productions). Two teenage boys in a mental institution form a friendship. Previews Aug 18. Opens Aug 19 and runs to Aug 29, Mon-Sat 8:30 pm, mats Sat-Sun 2:30 pm. $23, stu $18, preview $10, Mon pwyc. Annex Theatre, 736 Bathurst. wolfboy.ca.
5) SEXUAL PERVERSITY IN CHICAGO by David Mamet (Red One Theatre). Two buddies tackle the swinging 70s single scene. Opens Aug 16 and runs to Aug 27, Mon-Fri 8 pm, plus Aug 20 at 11 pm and Aug 28 at 8 pm. $15, Tue $10. Unit C, 102 Foxley Place. redonetheatre.com.