By Mira Saraf
Five for Twenty (Or Less)
The theme for the week of August 22, 2010 is comedy. You can’t blame your purse strings for missing any of these shows. What better way to spend an evening than laughing for under $20? Enjoy!
1) Duffle Bag Children’s Theatre (Earl Bales Park). This all-ages show features comedy and audience participation. Aug 26 at 7 pm. Free. Barry Zukerman Amphitheatre, 4169 Bathurst. 416-395-7873.
2) Lyme And Tings (Trey Anthony/See Saw Live Productions). Singers, spoken word artists and others compete in an interactive talent show hosted by comedian Trixx. Opens Aug 5 and runs to Aug 26, Thu 7:30 pm. $10. The Annex Live, 296 Brunswick. seesawlive.com.
3) Schlapentickle Family Burlesque And Revue (Gladstone Hotel). This queer-friendly cabaret burlesque show features strip tease, ragtime music and comedy. Aug 24 at 9 pm. $15. 1214 Queen W. 416-531-4635.
4) Shameless Showcase/Everybody Dies by Janus Jansons and Steve Worton (Ambitious Pictures). Previews of a new dark musical comedy accompany a series of cabaret nights featuring music, comedy, puppets, burlesque and more. Opens Aug 19 and runs to Aug 27, Thu-Sat cabaret 9 pm, see website for musical preview times. $10-$15. The Poor Alex, 772A Dundas W. everybodydiesthemusical.com.
5) The Wormwood Prince by Reg Matson (Next Stage Theatre Company). This modern fairy tale features sword fights, sorcery, laughs and love. Opens Aug 25 and runs to Aug 29, Wed-Sat 8 pm, mats Sat-Sun 2 pm. $15, stu/srs $12. Helen Gardiner Phelan Playhouse, 79A St. George. firstname.lastname@example.org.