From press release
Coming soon… only six feet away
death: THE MOVIE
It’s got scares …well not real scares.
It’s got sadness …well not real sadness.
It’s got suffering. …well not real suffering.
But most of all, it’s got death. …well, not real death.
Fiction and reality collide in a play with no director about a director making a movie in which the actor dies. …Not in the movie, …not in real life, … in the play.
When will he die? In the end.
Where will he die? On the big screen.
How will he die? Scared, sad, and suffering.
Will he come back? No.
Will he be remembered? No.
Will he have made a difference? No.
“death: THE MOVIE” is a formalist “No frills” short play and a deceptively simple analogy for the blurry line between fiction and reality. It attempts to make death funny. It attempts to “kill” the concept of death.
- Written by Justin Zaza, and starring Calvin Fournier and Greg Scala, “death: THE MOVIE will have its world premiere at this year’s Fringe Festival.
- The production team consists solely of Zaza, Fournier and Scala, all Toronto natives.
- Zaza (a novelist), Fournier (a Toronto punk-rock singer), and Scala (a former stage actor turned doctor) had backgrounds that yielded unique but complementary insights.
- It was decided early on that there would be no director (or everyone would be the director). The team used a co-op approach where a majority of two would dictate the direction.
- Zaza, an Etobicoke resident, wrote “death: THE MOVIE” in 2008. His previous works include the novels “Men are all Murderers and Women are all Whores” and “Why Can’t I be Normal?” and the feature indie film “The Most Famous Celebrity Of All Time.”
- Calvin Fournier is the lead singer of Toronto punk band Cousin Dog, and has performed in numerous Toronto Clubs including The Horseshoe Tavern and The Bovine Sex Club.
- DEATH: THE MOVIE marks Greg’s return to the stage after a 10 year hiatus, having been very active in the community theatre scene in Kingston in the 90’s. He is a working visual artist, a custom archtop guitar maker and practices medicine part-time in the field of cardiac surgery in Toronto, Mississauga and Hamilton.
Human Warnings Productions
in association with The Toronto Fringe Festival presents
death: THE MOVIE
written by Justin Zaza
starring Calvin Fournier and Greg Scala
Opens July 7th runs to July 16th
St. Vlad’s Theatre
620 Spadina Avenue (at Harbord)
July 7th: 10pm
July 9th: 8pm
July 10th: 12pm
July 11th: 1:15pm
July 14th: 11pm
July 15th: 2:15pm
July 16th: 5:15pm
$10 at the door
Or book in advance:
-by calling the Fringe Hotline at (416) 966-1062
-or online at www.tinyurl.com/6xuf5er