Fringe opens in just two short days, and Mooney on Theatre is all a’buzz. We’ll be bringing you comprehensive coverage, including long-format reviews of every show in the festival; we’ll be bringing you buzz, features, photographs and rumours; we’ll be bringing you live Twitter coverage of the most important and exciting events; and, thanks to the ongoing generosity of the Festival and its participants, we invite you to Fringe for Free once more!
Fringe for Free is as easy as it sounds: we’ll post a list of 5 shows for every day in the festival. If you’re interested in catching one, shoot us an email (see below for full details), and one of our Contest Elves will enter you in the drawing. We pick a name, they win two tickets, and then they–hopefully!–come back to Mooney on Theatre and tell us all about it.
Remember, you need a separate email for each entry. If you want to see all 5 shows, that means 5 emails!
Today, we’re posting contests for the very first day of the festival, Wednesday July 2nd. Click the jump to see today’s list!
- To enter, send an email to email@example.com. Please put the show’s title in the subject line, and ensure we have your full name in the body. (We promise that your email address will not be used for any other purpose: it will not be added to any mailing lists, sold to third parties, or anything like that.)
- Each email counts as a single entry. If you want to enter all 5 contests, you must send 5 emails.
- Tickets are non-transferable and are only for the date and time indicated below. Tickets may not be exchanged. Please ensure you can attend the performance listed.
- All entries must be received by 7 PM on the day before the performance. The drawing will be held at 9 PM, and winners will be informed immediately. Winners are required to confirm their attendance by 10 AM on the morning of the performance.
- Tickets will be held in your name at the venue box office, available 1 hour before the performance. Tickets will only be held until 15 minutes before curtain: any comps left unclaimed at that juncture may be sold.
Tikva’s Orchestra – 10:30 PM on July 2nd (Annex Theatre, 736 Bathurst St.)
A Jewish cellist is determined to save the players in her orchestra during the Nazi attacks of Kristallnacht in WWII.
In this new physical theatre piece, which includes climbing and spinning aerial bungee, two performers share a story of hope.
- July 02 at 10:30 PM
- July 05 at 05:15 PM
- July 06 at 12:30 PM
- July 07 at 06:45 PM
- July 09 at 04:00 PM
- July 10 at 09:15 PM
- July 11 at 12:00 PM
MUTE: A Musical Against Bullying! – 8:15 PM on July 2nd (Randolph Theatre, 736 Bathurst St.)
MUTE takes us on journey about a young girl Juliana with a secret amazing voice that only her grandfather has heard. Not only does she suffer the tragic loss of her grandfather, she is bullied by a group at school.
Now she alone must overcome those against her, find the confidence within her, and share with the world the gift that will leave them in awe!
- July 02 at 08:15 PM
- July 04 at 03:30 PM
- July 06 at 01:15 PM
- July 07 at 08:15 PM
- July 08 at 01:00 PM
- July 11 at 05:15 PM
- July 12 at 11:00 PM
Real Dead Ghosts – 7:00 PM on July 2nd (Robert Gill Theatre, 214 College St.)
A cabin in the woods becomes home to disappointments, secrets and regrets when a young couple are haunted by past choices and future responsibilities. A modern day ghost story. Unfinished business kind of shit. *Audience Choice Award winner at FRIGID New York 2014.*
- July 02 at 07:00 PM
- July 03 at 10:30 PM
- July 06 at 05:45 PM
- July 09 at 12:15 PM
- July 10 at 05:45 PM
- July 11 at 09:45 PM
- July 12 at 08:45 PM
Spilling Family Secrets – 6:30 PM on July 2nd (Tarragon Solo Room, 30 Bridgman Ave.)
At 11, I snooped into my parents’ love letters and cringed with embarrassment. Today, can the letters spill secrets of their inspiring marriage — and shed light on my own marital misadventures? This is Susan’s fourth Fringe comedy: “Freedman is mesmerizing”—See Edmonton; “Inspiring…funny” —Toronto Eye Weekly; “Pithy and hilarious”—Georgia Straight.
- July 02 at 06:30 PM
- July 04 at 04:45 PM
- July 05 at 06:45 PM
- July 06 at 02:45 PM
- July 08 at 03:15 PM
- July 09 at 04:45 PM
- July 11 at 03:30 PM
- July 12 at 08:00 PM
Vectors of their Interest – 7:00 PM on July 2nd (106 Albany Ave.)
Inside a Victorian house rented online for the night, the three young recessionistas of Viragon Capital Group and their thoroughly male, thoroughly unpaid intern search through their host’s effects looking for new, perverse business opportunities. By sunrise all four will undo each other in very unprofitable bouts of desperation and resentment.
- July 02 at 07:00 PM
- July 03 at 07:00 PM
- July 04 at 07:00 PM
- July 05 at 07:00 PM
- July 07 at 07:00 PM
- July 08 at 07:00 PM
- July 09 at 07:00 PM
- July 10 at 07:00 PM
- July 11 at 07:00 PM
- July 12 at 07:00 PM
- July 13 at 07:00 PM