Crux, set in a working climbing gym, takes Fringe plays to new heights
From press release:
Crux takes you into the gripping world of climbing. This site-specific, immersive play takes you into Boulderz Climbing Centre with gravity defying stunts and off-the-wall dance choreography. Follow your favourite character through the no-holds-barred Bigger Better Boulder competition. Watch as friendships and romances struggle to hang on. Who will crush and who will crack under the pressure? Discover what drives people up the walls.
Crux is a fun, inviting, movement rich play written by Greg Borris. With the help of choreographer Eric Dahlinger, Crux brings the audience into the Bigger Better Boulder competition. Featuring an original soundtrack of Canadian artists, including Andi, Sea Perry, Ivory Hours, KC Roberts and the Live Revolution and more, the show gracefully showcases the beauty of climbing with stylized choreography and impressive acrobatics. Between jaw dropping numbers, the audience gets to explore the gym in a choose-your-own-adventure style play. Audience member can watch a surprise sweet sixteen birthday party derail or follow the members of a complex love triangle. They can help the route setter put the final climbing holds on the walls or can choose to stick with the gym owner as he oversees the boulder competition. The cast of 8 multitalented performers bring real climbing stories and a spirit of adventure to life. Crux delights the senses with your feet firmly on the ground, unless you’re feeling brave and want a challenge. Audience members are welcome to participate in the boulder competition in the show, competing with each other and the performers in the show.
Writer/director Greg Borris explains: “Climbing really brought me out of my shell when I was a preteen. I want to bring people into this world so they can see why climbing is such a fast growing sport for all ages!” According to Borris, climbing is unique in its ability to be an “individual team” sport. “When you’re climbing, it’s just you and the wall, but your friends are there cheering you on! The atmosphere is very friendly and collaborative with people offering helpful advice and tips.” With heart-warming stories and stunning dances above and beside you, Crux will be sure to inspire you to new heights.
Official Crux trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVWqryxaCNk
- Crux plays at Boulderz Climbing Centre. (1444 Dupont St.)
- Tickets are $10 at the door, $12 in advance. The festival also offers a range of money-saving passes for serious Fringers.
- Tickets can be purchased online, by telephone (416-966-1062), from the Fringe Club at Honest Ed’s Alley, and — if any remain — from the venue’s box office starting one hour before curtain.
- Be aware that Fringe performances always start exactly on time, and that latecomers are never admitted.
- Content Warning: Audience Participation.
- Wednesday June 29th, 09:30 pm
- Thursday June 30th, 09:30 pm
- Friday July 1st, 09:30 pm
- Saturday July 2nd, 07:30 pm
- Monday July 4th, 09:30 pm
- Tuesday July 5th, 09:30 pm
- Wednesday July 6th, 09:30 pm
- Thursday July 7th, 09:30 pm
- Friday July 8th, 09:30 pm
- Saturday July 9th, 07:30 pm
- Sunday July 10th, 07:30 pm