From Press Release
A Film Noir installation fantasy starring the entire audience. Butt Kapinski is funny, filthy and fully interactive. In a show that is part-comedy, part-social experiment, audience members play dead bodies and cops, men become whores, women become abusers, and Butt conducts the audience on a gender-bending ride—lit only by the angler-fish style lamp above the character’s head.
Deanna Fleysher, also director/co-writer of internationally renowned Red Bastard, smashes through boundaries of gender stereotypes and what it means to be an audience member is this uniquely-staged ‘murder mystery’. Following extensive seasons in the US, Canada, Australia and the UK, Butt is set to take Toronto by storm.
BEST COMEDY: Perth Fringeworld 2017 INNOVATION AWARD: Adelaide Fringe 2017 COMEDY AWARD: Adelaide Fringe 2016 BEST OF FEST: Orlando Fringe 2015, Edmonton Fringe 2014, Calgary Fringe 2014, Hollywood Fringe 2013 WINNER: STAFF PICK, Edmonton Fringe 2014, VOLUNTEERS’ CHOICE AWARD and CULTCH AWARD, Vancouver Fringe 2013 WINNER: MOST ORGASMIC PRODUCTION, Hollywood Fringe 2013 NOMINATED: BEST TOURING SHOW, THE AUSTIN CHRONICLE
★★★★★ “Butt Kapinski is not just the name of a show; it could be the name of a new theatre/comedy style.” – GLAMADELAIDE
★★★★ “This is not audience participation, this is immersive comedy like you have never experienced. And we love it.” – THE SCOTSMAN
★★★★ “All the noir tropes are present and transformed: the street lamp that cuts through the darkness is affixed to Butt like a third eye… A raucous and raunchy thrill ride.” – THE LIST
Deanna is a comedy artist, teacher and director devoted to immersive experiences and breaking the audience/performer divide. She currently tours with her award-winning solo show Butt Kapinski, and teaches workshops in physical comedy and audience connection around the world. She leads the ongoing Naked Comedy Lab in her new hometown of Bellingham, WA, USA. For more info, see www.buttkapinski.com or check out her blog at nakedcomedy.blogspot.com
- Butt Kapinski plays at the St. Vladimir Institute. (620 Spadina Ave.)
- Tickets are $12. The festival also offers a range of money-saving passes for serious Fringers.
- Tickets can be purchased online, by telephone (416-966-1062), from the Fringe Club at Scadding Court, and — if any remain — from the venue’s box office starting one hour before curtain.
- Be aware that Fringe performances always start exactly on time, and that latecomers are never admitted.
- Content Warnings: Unsuitable for Minors, Sexual Content, Audience Participation, Nudity, Mature Language.
- This venue is wheelchair-accessible through a secondary route. After the building’s business hours, a staff member will need to escort you through this route, so plan to arrive early for evening shows.
- Wednesday July 5th, 07:00 pm
- Friday July 7th, 10:45 pm
- Sunday July 9th, 01:45 pm
- Tuesday July 11th, 06:45 pm
- Wednesday July 12th, 12:00 pm
- Friday July 14th, 03:30 pm
- Saturday July 15th, 09:15 pm
Photo of Deanna Fleysher by Mihaela Bodlovic