From Press Release
Sufferers of anxiety disorders are set to get a dose of inspiration when Mia Raye Smith takes center stage in her solo show, I Am Hope in the Toronto Fringe Festival.
Written by Mia Raye Smith, I Am Hope is an autobiographical play about a young girl’s transition to one of New York’s toughest neighborhoods. Young Mia was seeking acceptance and validation from her peers, but a trip back home to Detroit helped her realized her deep family history in Louisiana.
Mia transforms into 19 characters that have helped shaped her life and in turn, develops an anxiety disorder complete with panic attacks leaving her homebound. Consequently, her dreams are put on hold.
According to the Anxiety Disorders Association of Canada (ADAC) anxiety is the most common mental illness in Canada. In Fact, statistics reveal that one in four Canadians (25%) will have at least one anxiety disorder in their lifetime. I Am Hope illuminates the struggle of anxiety disorders to it’s fullest, as compelling piece of theatre that will resonate with everyone, but especially those who struggle with the disorder on a daily basis. Smith has performed this compelling theatre piece at a number of college campuses across America including Fordham University, Central Michigan University, Eastern Michigan and Brooklyn College. An educator at Fordham University, Ijeoma Nwaogu, PH. D., fully endorsed the show. She said: “I Am Hope is a poignant play filled with brilliantly portrayed scenes that stir emotions and inspires the audience. A funny, yet moving play sheds light on a woman’s real life experiences living with an anxiety disorder. Audience members are sure to feel moved and empowered.”
Mia Raye Smith ( Writer/Performer) Mia Raye Smith was Born in Detroit, Mi. She is a playwright, and actress as well as a proud graduate of the William Esper Studio. While enrolled in Emmy Award-Winning writer and teacher Matt Hoverman’s “Go-Solo “ Workshop, Mia wrote, developed, and performed her One Woman Show, “ I Am Hope”, which was featured OFF-Broadway in The United Solo Festival in NYC, New Works Series Festival and the Flying Solo Festival. Mia is currently touring “ I Am Hope” on the college Circuit. Mia is contributing to the conversation of mental health through the performing arts.
- I am Hope plays at the Tarragon Solo Room. (30 Bridgman Ave.)
- Tickets are $12. The festival also offers a range of money-saving passes for serious Fringers.
- Tickets can be purchased online, by telephone (416-966-1062), from the Fringe Club at Scadding Court, and — if any remain — from the venue’s box office starting one hour before curtain.
- Be aware that Fringe performances always start exactly on time, and that latecomers are never admitted.
- This venue is wheelchair-accessible through a secondary route. Check in at the venue box office at least 15 minutes before showtime, and a staff member will escort you to the venue. Accessible seating is in the front row.
- Thursday July 6th, 09:30 pm
- Friday July 7th, 06:30 pm
- Saturday July 8th, 05:00 pm
- Sunday July 9th, 02:45 pm
- Monday July 10th, 04:00 pm
- Tuesday July 11th, 08:30 pm
- Thursday July 13th, 04:30 pm
- Saturday July 15th, 08:00 pm
Photo of Mia Raye Smith by Keith MacDonald