From the press release:
Lover Lover is a story on an old theme with a new spin. It is a story about unrequited love, but it is also a story about identity, sexuality, polyamory, and about the limitations and possibilities of love. It is a story about two people who cannot fall in love and cannot fall out of love. It is a story full of surprises. This site-specific piece is an intimate conversation between strangers in a public space. At Nightowl, a new and exciting bar in Little Italy, audience members can have a drink and watch the story unfold without feeling guilty for eavesdropping.
This play was written as an exploration of modern romance. The playwright endeavoured to write a play that, stylistically, struck a balance between David Mamet and Annie Baker. The
script was workshopped with actors in New York through staged readings and audience discussions. The theatre company itself, Subverting Something, was created with the belief that
theatre is the most human of art forms, and that the stories we tell must be truthful and brave.
Lover Lover is a play that unfolds in real time, in real space. Audience members can listen in on private lives in the way that we all yearn to when we’re in public, suddenly captivated by a conversation on the street, or in this case, in a bar. The audience will be witness to something heated and unexpected that they can become involved in from a safe distance, perhaps with a drink in hand. This is the story of two lovers that have never met, until now. Allow us to subvert
Venue: Nightowl Toronto – 647 College Street
- “Lover Lover” plays at Nightowl (647 College Street)
- Tickets are $12. The festival also offers a range of money-saving passes for serious Fringers.
- Tickets can be purchased online, by telephone (416-966-1062), from the Fringe Club at Scadding Court, and — if any remain — from the venue’s box office starting one hour before curtain.
- Be aware that Fringe performances always start exactly on time, and that latecomers are never admitted.
- Content Warnings: Unsuitable for Minors, Mature Language, Sexual Content.
- July 5th, 8pm
- July 6th, 8pm
- July 7th, 5:30pm
- July 8th, 5:30pm
- July 12th, 8pm
- July 13th, 8pm
- July 15th, 5:30pm