From press release:
Shirley Gnome is making her Toronto Fringe debut with the Canadian premiere of Taking It Up The Notch.
Hailing from Vancouver and currently signed to 604 Records (Canada’s largest independent music label), this international multi-award winning cabaret comedian has wowed critics and audiences alike with her unique brand of witty, explicit, boundary-pushing satirical music. She is regularly featured on SiriusXM stations all over North America and was recently a guest performer on Dan Savage’s #1 rated podcast The Savage Lovecast.
In Taking It Up The Notch, Gnome deals with the pressure of her first record deal by attempting to develop a moral compass to guide her in making an album for troubled times. Dark humour and taboo notions about sexuality and human nature mix with beautiful vocals, gorgeous guitar stylings, and epic backing tracks.
She returns to Canada after a three-month sell-out tour of Australia and New Zealand, where she received critical acclaim for her performances of Taking It Up The Notch. She was also featured as the closing act of the Melbourne International Comedy Festival’s all-female comedy showcase UpFront.
Fans of Garfunkel and Oats and Tenacious D, get ready to be taken to the next level.
- Shirley Gnome: Taking It Up The Notch plays at the Factory Studio. (125 Bathurst St.)
- Tickets are $12. The festival also offers a range of money-saving passes for serious Fringers.
- Tickets can be purchased online, by telephone (416-966-1062), from the Fringe Club at Scadding Court, and — if any remain — from the venue’s box office starting one hour before curtain.
- Be aware that Fringe performances always start exactly on time, and that latecomers are never admitted.
- Content Warnings: Unsuitable for Minors, Sexual Content, Realistic Violence or Gore, Nudity, Mature Language.
- This venue is accessible.
- Wednesday July 5th, 10:30 pm
- Saturday July 8th, 02:00 pm
- Monday July 10th, 07:00 pm
- Wednesday July 12th, 09:30 pm
- Thursday July 13th, 04:15 pm
- Friday July 14th, 05:30 pm
- Sunday July 16th, 02:00 pm
Photo credit: Rufio Van Hoover.