From Press Release
“Family never felt so foreign.”
A hilarious and heartfelt one-Franco show about being Franco Nguyen
The future of funny, Franco Nguyen, dives into his not-so-funny past. Fresh off his featured performance at the NBC Breakout Comedy Festival in Chicago, this award-winning comedian shares his stories about going to Vietnam for the first time in 25 years, meeting his previously non-existent 8 year-old step-brother and being re-introduced to the parents he thought he knew. Part stand up and part theatre, Nguyen’s unique and hilarious perspective will be showcased in this one-person show debuting at the 2017 Toronto Fringe Festival.
“If you don’t know what divorce feels like, it’s a game of monkey in the middle. But instead of throwing a ball, your parents are throwing anger and resentment. And instead of throwing it over you, they’re throwing it at you. And if you catch it, it’s your fault….” -Franco Nguyen
Vietnamese-Canadian, Franco Nguyen is a rising comedic star. His ascent though the comedy ranks started when he was featured in the Second City Tim Sims Cream of Comedy. He won the producers pick at the 2017 Toronto SketchFest and the Best Newcomer Award at the 2017 Montreal SketchFest with his sketch troupe TALLBOYZ II MEN. Franco is a recent alumnus of The Second City’s Bob Curry Fellowship and is a familiar face at stand-up clubs and comedy venues across Toronto. He lives with his mom.
FRANCO NGUYEN in association with The Toronto Fringe Festival presents
SOARING IN LIQUID SKIES
Written and Performed by Franco Nguyen, Directed by Darrel Gamotin
Staged managed by Ana-Marija Stojic
- Soaring in Liquid Skies plays at the Theatre Passe Muraille Backspace. (16 Ryerson Ave.)
- Tickets are $12. The festival also offers a range of money-saving passes for serious Fringers.
- Tickets can be purchased online, by telephone (416-966-1062), from the Fringe Club at Scadding Court, and — if any remain — from the venue’s box office starting one hour before curtain.
- Be aware that Fringe performances always start exactly on time, and that latecomers are never admitted.
- This venue is wheelchair-accessible, with some tight cornering. Accessible seating is in the front row.
- Wednesday July 5th, 08:15 pm
- Friday July 7th, 04:45 pm
- Saturday July 8th, 05:00 pm
- Monday July 10th, 09:15 pm
- Tuesday July 11th, 03:15 pm
- Wednesday July 12th, 10:00 pm
- Friday July 14th, 01:45 pm
- Sunday July 16th, 05:45 pm
Photo of Franco Nguyen by Dan Abramovici