From Press Release
“32 Short Sketches About Bees” running from July 6th to July 16th at the Helen Gardiner Phelan Playhouse. Conceptually inspired by “32 Short Films About Glen Gould”, this show is a play on words that will play with your mind.
This 6 person cast with a deep fondness for bees has taken on the heroic task of fitting 32 sketches into a 55 min show. It promises to be an easter egg hunt of a production. Any kind of bee is fair game: honey bees, the letter B, and even Bea Arthur. This show will be a test of the creative limits of its cast, and will challenge the format of a conventional sketch comedy show. The freedom to explore and experiment in this way is only possible at a festival like the Toronto Fringe, and “32 Short Sketches About Bees” promises to make the most of this opportunity.
“32 Short Sketches about Bees” is written and performed by the ensemble cast of Andrew Bushell, Leigh Cameron, Claire Farmer, Jessica Greco, Shannon Lahaie, Chris Leveille and Cameron Wyllie and co created / directed by Paul Bates. Bates has won numerous Canadian Comedy Awards, and received NOW Magazine’s 2013 Reader’s Choice Award for Best Male Improviser. This creative team is made up of performers from Toronto’s funniest and most celebrated sketch comedy and improv troupes, including Dame Judy Dench, O Dat Dum, and the Bad Dog stage, making them an all-star cast of characters brought together by one commonality, bees.
- 32 Short Sketches About Bees plays at the Helen Gardiner Phelan Playhouse. (79 St. George St.)
- Tickets are $12. The festival also offers a range of money-saving passes for serious Fringers.
- Tickets can be purchased online, by telephone (416-966-1062), from the Fringe Club at Scadding Court, and — if any remain — from the venue’s box office starting one hour before curtain.
- Be aware that Fringe performances always start exactly on time, and that latecomers are never admitted.
- Content Warnings: Gunshots, Sexual Content, Fog, Mist or Haze Effects, Audience Participation, Mature Language.
- This venue is wheelchair-accessible.
- Thursday July 6th, 10:30 pm
- Saturday July 8th, 03:30 pm
- Monday July 10th, 04:30 pm
- Wednesday July 12th, 08:45 pm
- Thursday July 13th, 11:30 pm
- Friday July 14th, 07:30 pm
- Sunday July 16th, 12:00 pm
Photo of Jessica Greco, Andrew Bushell, Leigh Cameron, Shannon Lahaie, Chris Leveille, Cameron Wyllie by Connor Low