Murder is black and white.
Life is not.
Twelve years after the murder of his son, Charlie Alexander faces the killer at his parole hearing. Jumping through time, we explore the lives of the people involved and the events that lead to the day of the crime. Cultures clash, punches are thrown, families struggle through loss and loneliness.
This play has been germinating for a decade and is finally down on paper and ready for the stage. GREY was inspired by a 2007 newspaper article that told the devastating story of a man whose son was murdered at a house party only four months after he lost his wife to cancer. With the prominence of Black Lives Matter and the many conversations that surround it, I finally found the circumstances and the characters that would bring this story to life in a sadly timeless way. Written and co-directed by Chantal Forde who was last seen at the 2015 Toronto Fringe with Perceptions of Love in the Pursuit of Happiness. The cast includes co-director Mandy Roveda (Plays in Cafes, Sonnets For A New Century), Kenton Blythe (Shaw Festival, Evil Dead the Musical), Andrea Carter (12 Monkeys, Saving Hope), Asante Tracey (The Big Game, Stargate: Continuum), and recent graduate, Kion Flatts (Dandelions in the Wind). Someone’s a bully. Someone’s a murderer. Someone’s a hero. Someone is to blame. What side of the story do you see?
- Grey plays at the Theatre Passe Muraille Mainspace. (16 Ryerson Ave.)
- Tickets are $12. The festival also offers a range of money-saving passes for serious Fringers.
- Tickets can be purchased online, by telephone (416-966-1062), from the Fringe Club at Scadding Court, and — if any remain — from the venue’s box office starting one hour before curtain.
- Be aware that Fringe performances always start exactly on time, and that latecomers are never admitted.
- Content Warning: Mature Language.
- This venue is wheelchair-accessible. Accessible seating is in the very front row.
- Friday July 7th, 08:00 pm
- Saturday July 8th, 04:00 pm
- Monday July 10th, 03:15 pm
- Wednesday July 12th, 05:45 pm
- Thursday July 13th, 12:00 pm
- Saturday July 15th, 11:00 pm
- Sunday July 16th, 02:45 pm
Photo by Anna Bratt