From the press release:
If I could be a hybrid species, here’s what I would be
A creature who’s one half hyena and one half me
And when I’m called to testify upon my own behalf,
I’ll take the stand and be sworn in and laugh and laugh and laugh.
Hyena Subpoena is a masterwork by one of Canada’s most unique and accomplished creators for the page and stage.
Catherine Kidd is a force of nature. Transcendent and funky, her hybrid creations explore animal societies to frame deeply personal human stories, wowing theatre and poetry audiences alike.
Since bursting onto the scene in Montreal’s legendary underground cabarets of the early ’90s, Kidd has toured her works to poetry, music and theatre festivals from Harbourfront World Stage to Glastonbury, from Oslo to Capetown.
Hyena Subpoena is a multimedia meditation on predator and prey, and the creatures within. We sit at a campsite and reflect on encounters with hyena families, a dying lion, lumbering elephants, endless antelopes – These stunning creatures conjure memories of the forces that shape our own lives and our drive to overcome.
Listen to the opening three poems Hyena Subpoena, Lion Queen and The Lottery for free at catkidd.bandcamp.com.
- Hyena Subpoena plays at the Factory Studio. (125 Bathurst St.)
- Tickets are $12. The festival also offers a range of money-saving passes for serious Fringers.
- Tickets can be purchased online, by telephone (416-966-1062), from the Fringe Club at Scadding Court, and — if any remain — from the venue’s box office starting one hour before curtain.
- Be aware that Fringe performances always start exactly on time, and that latecomers are never admitted.
- This venue is accessible.
- Thursday July 6th, 06:00 pm
- Saturday July 8th, 12:15 pm
- Monday July 10th, 11:00 pm
- Wednesday July 12th, 07:45 pm
- Thursday July 13th, 02:30 pm
- Friday July 14th, 09:30 pm
- Saturday July 15th, 04:00 pm
Image provided by the company