From press release
RealSpace Theatre presents Falling Angel, a contemporary vaudevillian style comedy written by Erica Wood, Co-creative Director of RealSpace, in collaboration with RealSpace founder and fellow Creative Director, Bruce Hunter – at the Toronto Fringe Festival.
Caroline Azar, dramaturg and consulting director, who has been working with RealSpace Theatre since its inception, describes Falling Angel as “a wonderland of the mind. The gardens of the CAMH park attract souls enmeshed in the absurdism of heavenly co-existence.”
“Falling Angel reminds us of the deceptive nature of what we call reality; not everyone is what they seem and after the sun goes down, just what colour is the grass on the other side anyways?” asks Wood. “During a time of so much change in the world, it seems ever critical to re-examine our perceptions of each other and connections to each other.”
The diverse cast is comprised of actor/ comedian/clown, Stevie Jay, Second City alumnus, Jamillah Ross, and classically trained, Erica Wood. Andrea Ouellette (Centre of Gravity) stage manages and costume designs. “The process has been marvelously collaborative – this is a dream team to work with on this production, at this venue,” says Wood.
Falling Angel mixes things up from previous RealSpace productions in non-traditional spaces – including the 2010 Fringe hit, The Getaway, that took place in a moving van and the zombie hit show Dine Her – and immerses audiences in the core of the city in the park at Queen & Shaw. Audiences will be seated on picnic blankets, benches and whatever is handy, and integrated into the action. The short running time (45 minutes) allows audiences to enjoy this outdoor production coming from or going to another Fringe show. Bring a picnic and join the flock!
- Wednesday July 5th, 06:30 pm
- Thursday July 6th, 06:30 pm
- Friday July 7th, 06:30 pm
- Sunday July 9th, 06:30 pm
- Monday July 10th, 06:30 pm
- Tuesday July 11th, 06:30 pm
- Wednesday July 12th, 06:30 pm
- Thursday July 13th, 06:30 pm
- Friday July 14th, 06:30 pm
- Saturday July 15th, 06:30 pm
- Falling Angel plays at Shaw Park (CAMH). (1001 Queen St. W.)
- Tickets are $12. The festival also offers a range of money-saving passes for serious Fringers.
- Tickets can be purchased online, by telephone (416-966-1062), from the Fringe Club at Scadding Court, and — if any remain — from the venue’s box office starting one hour before curtain.
- Be aware that Fringe performances always start exactly on time, and that latecomers are never admitted.
- Content Warnings: Sexual Content, Audience Participation, Mature Language.
- The Fringe Festival considers this venue to be wheelchair-accessible. Note that this production plays outdoors, and audience members may not be provided with seating.
Photo of Stevie Jay, Erica Wood & Jamillah Ross by Jon Blacker