Excerpt from press release:
TORONTO, ON – Merlene’s Impact Project promises morals, music, and mayhem with its Toronto Fringe Festival KidsFest debut Fables From Far Away Lands at the George Ignatieff Theatre July 2017.
A whimsical new musical, Fables centres around 11 year-old bullied bookworm Aviv. After a lonely playground classmate destroys her beloved book, Aviv gets swept into the magical Land of Fables. Once there, Aviv is starstruck when she meets the literary characters from her stories. She embarks on a journey to piece together the endings, and morals, to these classic Aesop Fables and learns life lessons that help her understand her peers and herself.
Using traditional fables, original songs and silly characters, Fables focuses on bullying, anxiety, female empowerment and working together. Starring 11 year old Aviv Cohen (American Gothic, Working Moms), audiences young and old will relate to her journey of self-discovery.
Aviv’s comical tour guide is the wisecracking bookworm, Boris. He takes our heroine to the fantastical land and acquaints her with the characters we know and love: Tortoise, Mouse, Hare, Lion, and Ant. Featuring catchy new songs and spectacular choreography, this story will spark a discussion about how we interact with our peers.
- Fables From Far Away Lands plays at the George Ignatieff Theatre. (15 Devonshire Pl.)
- Tickets for Kidsfest shows are $5 for kids (age 12 and younger); adults pay $12.
- Tickets can be purchased online, by telephone (416-966-1062), from the Fringe Club at Scadding Court, and — if any remain — from the venue’s box office starting one hour before curtain.
- The George Ignatieff Theatre is wheelchair-accessible, and has wide aisles for easy mid-show exits.
- Don’t miss the Kidsfest club located on the lawn adjacent to the venue! Free activities for children (3-12) and caregivers run every day of the festival: see website for details.
- Be aware that Fringe performances always start exactly on time, and that latecomers are never admitted.
- Thursday July 6th, 04:15 pm
- Saturday July 8th, 12:15 pm
- Sunday July 9th, 10:00 am
- Tuesday July 11th, 03:15 pm
- Wednesday July 12th, 01:30 pm
- Friday July 14th, 11:30 am
- Sunday July 16th, 03:00 pm
Poster by Emily Richardson.