Efthimios Nasiopoulos is an extremely talented storyteller. The way he is able to switch from topic to topic seems effortless. He’s able to include funny tangents without moving too far away from the plot. Since these are his personal stories there is always the worry of not connecting with the audience but his conversational tone and welcoming gestures easily draw the audience in.
This show is relatable and I believe it would connect well with any audience. From elementary school relationships that barely last more than 3 minutes to sitting down with someone who you truly connect with and finally opening up, I found myself directly relating his stories to my own experiences.
The further into the play the less often Nasiopoulos’s quips and one-liners appear. I could feel the audience become somber as he moves into the difficult topic of what happens when love ends. A topic that he paid enough time to without sacrificing the entire tone of the play.
The opening and ending scenes are somewhat out of place but tie in well to the theme. Specifically the opening scene, it sets up an idea about what the play will be like so when Nasiopoulos actually launches into his personal stories it feels disjointed. I did enjoy the end a lot and the opening is needed in order for the end to make sense so I forgive the momentary feeling of confusion I felt after the first scene.
Despite the bare simplicity of the show, I’m engaged the entire time, finding myself wrapped in Nasiopoulos’s story. He does not need a set or dramatic lighting to tell this story because at its core it is a story about humanity. I enjoyed every minute of this show.
- Disengaged plays at the Factory Studio. (125 Bathurst St.)
- Tickets are $12. The festival also offers a range of money-saving passes for serious Fringers.
- Tickets can be purchased online, by telephone (416-966-1062), from the Fringe Club at Scadding Court, and — if any remain — from the venue’s box office starting one hour before curtain.
- Be aware that Fringe performances always start exactly on time, and that latecomers are never admitted.
- Content Warnings: Unsuitable for Minors, Sexual Content, Mature Language.
- This venue is accessible.
- Wednesday July 5th, 08:45 pm
- Friday July 7th, 11:00 pm
- Sunday July 9th, 02:45 pm
- Tuesday July 11th, 08:30 pm
- Wednesday July 12th, 12:15 pm
- Friday July 14th, 03:45 pm
- Saturday July 15th, 12:00 pm
Photo of Efthimios Nasiopoulos by Leigh Righton