From Press Release
Having recently appeared in Imposters on Bravo, In Contempt on BET, and in the recurring role of “Sketchy-Looking Dude” on CBC’s Kim’s Convenience, Just For Laughs Comedy Award nominee Kris Hagen trades in screen time for a chance to bring his original music, writing and direction to the stage in Lighters in the Air.
A musician named Leo returns to his former hangout, The Empty, a dive bar where the mic is always open. With the help of old friends, a lost love, and The Empty’s newest off-beat barflies, Leo rediscovers his passion for the music he left behind. A play about artistic integrity, unfulfilled expectations, and an uncertain future.
Lighters in the Air will feature original songs by Hagen as well as nightly guest performances by some of the brightest talent in the Toronto music and comedy scenes, including Laura Tremblay (Jukebox Hero: The Musical; Stage West Calgary’s Legally Blonde: The Musical), Ben Beauchemin (Kim’s Convenience, Saving Hope), Ted Morris (Yuk Yuk’s, Just for Laughs, Sirius XM), and more!
- Lighters in the Air plays at the Monarch Tavern. (12 Clinton St.)
- Tickets are $13, including a $2 service charge. The festival also offers a range of money-saving passes and discounts for serious Fringers.
- Tickets can be purchased online, by telephone (416-966-1062), from the Festival Box Office at Scadding Court (707 Dundas St. W.), and — if any remain — from the venue’s box office starting one hour before curtain.
- Content Warnings: Mature language; Unconventional venue.
- The Fringe Festival considers this venue to be wheelchair-accessible.
- Be aware that Fringe performances always start exactly on time, and that latecomers are never admitted.
- Wednesday July 4th, 8:00 pm
- Thursday July 5th, 8:00 pm
- Friday July 6th, 6:00 pm
- Saturday July 7th, 7:00 pm
- Sunday July 8th, 7:00 pm
- Tuesday July 10th, 8:00 pm
- Wednesday July 11th, 6:00 pm
- Thursday July 12th, 6:00 pm
- Friday July 13th, 7:00 pm
- Saturday July 14th, 3:00 pm
- Sunday July 15th, 7:00 pm
Photo by Sarah Delignies