From Press Release:
High school students from The Woodlands School in Mississauga, ON are making their debut at the 2018 Toronto Fringe Festival, performing seven shows at the Helen Gardiner Phelan Playhouse between July 4-15, 2018.
The show is led by 17-year-old Julie Phan (writer, producer, lead actor), directed by 18-year-old Colwyn Alletson, and performed by 17-year-old Natalie Thai and 20-year old Nam Nguyen. The show explores the upbringing of the first-generation immigrants and the intergenerational conflict that arises from being raised with two colliding value systems. The existential plights of
young people are analyzed through the eyes of children who struggle to chase their dreams while fulfilling their filial duties.
After years of success in development through youth programming as The Woodlands Theatre Co. (participating in the Ontario Drama Festival, Tarragon Theatre Young Playwrights Unit, and Summerworks Festival), these young
creators are taking a giant leap forward in establishing themselves as independent artists by self-producing their own production.
- Fine China plays at the Helen Gardiner Phelan Playhouse. (79 St. George St.)
- Tickets are $13, including a $2 service charge. The festival also offers a range of money-saving passes and discounts for serious Fringers.
- Tickets can be purchased online, by telephone (416-966-1062), from the Festival Box Office at Scadding Court (707 Dundas St. W.), and — if any remain — from the venue’s box office starting one hour before curtain.
- Content Warnings: Smoking; Mature language.
- This venue is wheelchair-accessible.
- Be aware that Fringe performances always start exactly on time, and that latecomers are never admitted.
- Thursday July 5th, 7:00 pm
- Saturday July 7th, 1:45 pm
- Sunday July 8th, 10:15 pm
- Tuesday July 10th, 2:30 pm
- Wednesday July 11th, 5:45 pm
- Thursday July 12th, 11:30 pm
- Saturday July 14th, 7:30 pm