The Stranger 2.0 is interactive and immersive mystery theatre for an audience of two
DopoLavoro Teatrale invites you to explore the unknown in The Stranger 2.0, a live theatre experience designed for an audience of two. Much about this adventure remains unknown, right down to the venue which is not announced to the participants until the day before. The joy and intrigue of this experience come down to your willingness to let go and be lead as far down as the rabbit hole will go.
In order to maintain the level of mystery required to fully appreciate this endeavour, specifics will be kept out of this review. What I can say about this is there is a fair bit of walking involved both indoors and out, as well as stairs, and so comfortable footwear and weather-appropriate clothing are required. Some of those indoor portions are done in rather small rooms that can get pretty hot, it’s a good idea to keep bottled water on hand.
Along this journey, participants will meet various strangers who are there to further guide down this path. What happens next is anyone’s guess. I mention participants rather than audience because beyond simply walking along with your guide, part of the experience requires the participants’ willingness to be fully involved with the process. You’ll be asked questions and your opinion matters, there will also be physical activities that will be asked of you, some of which may require physical touch.
During this trek into the unknown, I struggled to find the narrative. What are we supposed to learn about strangers? What is the Above versus the Below which is a secondary experience that runs concurrently? I soon realized that there isn’t any straight forward narrative. The experience is very internal, asking the participant to be introspective and peer further into their own mind while also being cognitive of interactions with strangers. Who are they and what can I learn about them?
I participated in Stranger 2.0 with fellow Mooney writer Ilana and our friendship through this experience put us more at ease. As this is a journey designed for two, most would likely sign up to participate with someone they know, but there is something to be said, an added dimension to the whole endeavor, in agreeing to attend solo and being paired with a stranger.
What you will get out of Stranger 2.0 is entirely based on your willingness to become Alice. Will you take the hand of a stranger and follow them wherever they lead? Will you think deeply about the questions you are asked and give heartfelt answers? Will you throw caution to the wind and step into the unknown?
- The Stranger 2.0 Above and Below is running until September 28 2019 at an undisclosed location. The location is TTC accessible and will be emailed to participants 24 hours in advance.
- Performances run weekdays from 5:00 pm to 9:10 pm and weekends from 3:00 pm to 7:10 pm with performances beginning every 20 minutes.
- Tickets are $50, $90 for the VIP experience with additional content, and can be purchased online.
- Run Time: The experience runs 75 to 90 minutes depending on the amount of interaction.
- Audience Advisory: This experience requires indoor and outdoor walking and stairs, comfortable footwear and appropriate clothing is required. Audience is required to interact with performers, and may be asked to remove their shoes. This performance also requires physical touch.
Photo from a previous The Stranger experience provided by DopoLavoro Teatrale.