From Press Release
“White Wedding” is a new site specific play written and directed by Taylor Marie Graham premiering at the 2017 Toronto Fringe. This bizarre comedy set in a hallway above a wedding reception venue explores those inevitable life questions that come up after all the anticipation of a wedding is over. Who are we really? And what is the point of it all?
Short Play Description
Lisa, and her brilliantly analytical mind, are having trouble understanding why we spend so much time celebrating painful emotions like love. Will attending her childhood best friend’s wedding at her old high school help clear things up? Maybe she should just hide upstairs.
About the Playwright / Director
Taylor Marie Graham is a playwright, director, producer, and educator living in Toronto. In 2016, celebrated playwright Judith Thompson named Taylor as the up and coming playwright to watch in Playwrights Guild of Canada’s The Playwright Applause campaign. Thompson described Taylor’s play Cottage Radio as, “a dynamic, complex, and very funny play with fabulous music set in beautiful and historic Goderich. Taylor Graham has written such rich and delicious characters, people who are familiar and yet presented in an utterly unique way. I am thrilled to see such a powerful play set in small town Ontario – true Canadiana, and yet, universal!” Taylor’s writing has also been described as “charmingly twisted” (John Terauds, Toronto Star), “delivering notes of comedy, irony and real feeling” (John Kaplan, NOW Magazine), “with good humour, warmth, and intelligence” (Andrea Romaldi), and “searingly written. . . a significant accomplishment!” (Bill Mandel). Taylor is the recipient of the George Ryga Award for Excellence in Playwrighting from York University and the Connie Rooke Scholarship from the University of Guelph. She has received multiple Ontario Arts Council theatre creator reserve grants for the development of her writing, and her opera The Virgin Charlie was nominated in 2008 for a Dora Mavor Moore Award for Outstanding Opera / Musical. www.taylormariegraham.com
Details of Production
Playwright & Director: Taylor Marie Graham
Assistant Directors: Emily Jenkins & Sebastian Biasucci
Producers: Sabrina Spence & Taylor Marie Graham
Designer: Lindsay Woods
Cast: Kayla Whelan, Dave Martin, Daniel Cristofori, Cass Van Wyck, Lauren Wolanski, Nabil Traboulski, Ermina Pérez, & Jeanette Dagger
Location: Upstairs Hallway of Artscape Youngplace, 180 Shaw Street
- White Wedding plays at Artscape Youngplace Upstairs Hall. (180 Shaw St.)
- Tickets are $12. The festival also offers a range of money-saving passes for serious Fringers.
- Tickets can be purchased online, by telephone (416-966-1062), from the Fringe Club at Scadding Court, and — if any remain — from the venue’s box office starting one hour before curtain.
- Be aware that Fringe performances always start exactly on time, and that latecomers are never admitted.
- Content Warnings: Sexual Content, Smoking, Mature Language.
- The Fringe Festival considers this venue to be wheelchair-accessible.
- Friday July 7th, 09:00 pm
- Saturday July 8th, 02:00 pm
- Saturday July 8th, 06:00 pm
- Saturday July 8th, 09:00 pm
- Sunday July 9th, 02:00 pm
- Sunday July 9th, 06:00 pm
- Sunday July 9th, 09:00 pm
- Thursday July 13th, 09:00 pm
- Friday July 14th, 09:00 pm
- Saturday July 15th, 02:00 pm
- Saturday July 15th, 06:00 pm
- Saturday July 15th, 09:00 pm
Photo of Daniel Cristofori, Kayla Whelan, and Ermina Pérez by Gerald Gilmore