From Press Release
Toronto, ON – June 5, 2018: Fresh off her win of the 2018 Cayle Chernin Award for Theatre Production, Lark & Whimsy Theatre Collective announced today that Briana Brown’s newest play Robert will receive its world premiere at this summer’s Toronto Fringe Festival, July 4th-15th, 2018 at St. George the Martyr, 197 John Street, Toronto, ON. Tickets go on sale to the general public on June 7th, 2018 at www.fringetoronto.com.
Kat and James are waiting for their father to die. Not exactly estranged, but certainly not close, the two struggle to make conversation until James reveals a secret he’s kept from Kat since childhood – a secret that turns their family roles upside down, and forces them both to confront what exactly “family” means. Robert is a witty and graceful new comedy that delivers laughs and heart while taking on difficult questions of identity, grief and loss. With a set of bagpipes.
From the Toronto Fringe artists who produced Bad Baby Presents: Rules Control The Fun (Torontoist Top 5 Pick of the Fringe, Mooney on Theatre Rave Review & Staff Pick, NOW Magazine Outstanding Performance: Janelle Hanna), Mockingbird (Next Stage Festival – Dora Nominated Outstanding Ensemble) and Almost, Again (Best of Fringe), Robert is written by Briana Brown, co-directed by Briana Brown & Rob Kempson, and features Janelle Hanna & Chris Baker. The production team consists of Kathleen Harrison (Stage Manager), Jacob Kay (Assistant Director) and Erin Vandenberg (Producer/Dramaturge).
Robert was originally conceived overnight in a castle as part of Driftwood Theatre’s Trafalgar 24 event where it received Driftwood’s Beyond the Castle Award. It was further developed through a playwriting residency with Driftwood supported by the Ontario Arts Council, and was shortlisted for the Stage West Pechet Family Comedy Award by the Playwright’s Guild of Canada.
- Robert. plays at St. George the Martyr. (197 John St.)
- Tickets are $13, including a $2 service charge. The festival also offers a range of money-saving passes and discounts for serious Fringers.
- Tickets can be purchased online, by telephone (416-966-1062), from the Festival Box Office at Scadding Court (707 Dundas St. W.), and — if any remain — from the venue’s box office starting one hour before curtain.
- Content Warning: Mature language.
- The Fringe Festival considers this venue to be wheelchair-accessible.
- Be aware that Fringe performances always start exactly on time, and that latecomers are never admitted.
- Wednesday July 4th, 8:00 pm
- Thursday July 5th, 8:00 pm
- Friday July 6th, 8:00 pm
- Saturday July 7th, 5:00 pm
- Saturday July 7th, 8:00 pm
- Tuesday July 10th, 8:00 pm
- Wednesday July 11th, 8:00 pm
- Thursday July 12th, 8:00 pm
- Friday July 13th, 8:00 pm
- Saturday July 14th, 5:00 pm
- Saturday July 14th, 8:00 pm
Photo provided by company.